Vortex Spitfire HD Gen II 3x Prism Scope
The new Vortex Spitfire HD Gen II 3x and 5x models are slimmer, more stylish and equipped with a redesigned HD optical system that offers a significantly smaller and lighter tactical solution.
The Vortex Spitfire HD Gen II 3x and 5x models allow you to choose the ideal mounting height while saving size and weight over the original platform.
With new night vision compatibility, every shooter’s dream comes true, the Spitfires have a BDC-style reticle matched to most popular .223 (5.56) cartridges for quick aiming at known distances, so you’re always on target have in mind.
The prism design and etched reticle allow for ultra-fast aiming and work without illumination. The turrets are open – no more caps, no more jamming.
Admit it – you’re already imagining what it’s going to look like on your favorite rifle.
This BDC reticle is built to get the most out of the 5.56 cartridge in your AR, providing both rapid target acquisition and the tools for holdovers out to 650 yards.
In the center sits an illuminated 1 MOA dot, and surrounding it is a three-quarter circle that’s also illuminated. Illumination in prism optics performs an important task. Not only is it handy in low-light shooting, but it also makes close-range shooting a good bit easier and faster.
The illuminated reticle provides a quick-to-the-eye reference point, and to shoot close range with a magnified prism, you focus with your non-dominant eye — both eyes open — and the red reticle appears on target.
Ratings (out of five stars):
Ergonomics * * * * *
The Vortex Spitfire HD Gen 2 is the smallest, lightest prism optic that provides magnification I’ve ever encountered. The buttons are massive and easy to use, and the adjustments click along very nicely.
Clarity * * * *
You might not mistake it for a Nightforce, but clarity is on par with most low magnified prism optics. I’d say the image looks better than what I used to see through my ACOG.
I can see colors, shades, and nothing looks fuzzy at the ranges you’d use 3X magnification for.
Reliability * * * *
Hundreds of rounds, a couple of accidental drops, and banging around in my truck later, and the optic runs without issue. It’s summer in Estonia, so it’s been rained on, and in the trunk, temps reached over 35 degrees easily.
I took a star off simply because it’s not rated to Aimpoint levels of Gs, temperature, or submersion. Plus, the etched reticle means it works without batteries or functional electronics, which is a trick that a red dot can’t match.
Ease of Use * * * * *
Put the dot or stadia on target and pull the trigger. Hear the ding, succeed. Seriously, prisms are very simple and easy-to-use optics. It’s tough to beat for new shooters and handy for the experienced.
The etched reticle also eliminates “starburst” or double-dot issues that shooters with astigmatism experience with traditional red dots.
Overall * * * *
The Vortex Spitfire HD Gen II from Vortex is an outstanding optic. I’m suitably impressed by the quality, design, small size, and clear sight picture. The attached price tag isn’t awful, either.
Product Manual (PDF) Download
- HD Optical System Optimized to deliver exceptional resolution, cut chromatic aberration, and provide outstanding edge to edge sharpness and light transmission.
- Brightness Settings 12 levels
- Night-Vision Compatibility The lowest 2 settings are night-vision compatible.
- Waterproof O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating for reliable performance in all environments.
- Shockproof Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact.
- Fogproof Nitrogen gas purging prevents internal fogging over a wide range of temperatures.
- Nitrogen Gas Purged Gas purged and o-ring sealed delivering waterproof, fogproof performance.
- Low-Glare Matte Black Anodized Corrosion and wear resistant anodization provides low-glare matte surface and helps camouflage the shooter’s position.
- Compact, Lightweight Design Rugged construction that’s still compact, with a lightweight form-factor.
Included in the Box:
- Rubber Lens Covers
- T-10 Torx Multi-Tool
- Multi-Height Mount System – Lower 1/3 Co-Witness Height and Low Mount Height
- Lens Cloth
- CR 2032 battery
Perfect Compact Scope
Previously had EO Tech can Sig optics Bravo3. Vortex rules!!!!! Perfect size w large field of view. Crystal clear glass. Good brightness. Good working reticle with proper holdovers checked out excellent at the range. Outer ring is 24cm / minute of man @ 100 yards. Important for ranging. Very useful site out to 400 – 500 m. I can hit nickels all day at 50m. One of the mounting clamps came stripped on small star bolt. Fortunately due to due amounts there’s an extra. wish they were steal. I’ll be adding quick release aim point mount. Note lens cover caps snap on battery cover!!!!